Overview and aims
The purpose of this module is to equip students with a theoretical grounding in research methods and its practical application.
The main aims of the module are to:
- provide students with an understanding of the processes involved in designing and conducting research
- foster a critical understanding of business research methods
- enhance students’ ability to evaluate and analyse evidence and implement appropriate solutions in any business environment
- equip students with the analytical skills to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of various qualitative and quantitative methods
- provide students with the use of a range of qualitative and quantitative skills
- promote students to interpret and analyse the limitations of qualitative and quantitative methods
- enhance students’ ability to devise and evaluate solutions and produce realistic and acceptable recommendations
The Business Research Project is a compulsory component of the MBA degree which all students must pass. It should rigorously investigate an issue of management or business relevance. The topic should be theoretically underpinned and normally involve primary research. The Business Research Project will take the form of an academic research paper or applied business research report.
Students will be challenged to critically reflect, develop, implement, and analyse business research methods appropriate to any business environment.
- Issues and processes in management research
- Key methods in management research
- Analysing and presenting management research
- Philosophical issues in management research
- Ethical considerations in management research
The module will prepare students in the process of conducting research and writing an academic research paper or applied business report. This is an individual piece of work. Students will be allocated an academic supervisor with knowledge of the project field.
After studying this module you should be able to:
- critically analyse key theories in business research methods
- justify and present a clear research strategy
- formulate and design a research question and project
- evaluate philosophical perspectives of management research
- understand ethical considerations relevant to management research
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- define concepts and structure them in ways that give a useful theoretical shape to the project or dissertation
- choose and use appropriate methods or approaches to collect and systematically analyse data
- frame, and argue for, a clear thesis in the documents and draw safe conclusions for theory and practice as appropriate
- produce a clearly structured, well written and presented business research project
- verbally articulate and defend a business research project