Overview and aims
- To enable students to reflect critically on the nature of marketing and its continuing relevance to the 21st-Century global business world.
- To foster a heightened critical awareness in students of both the extent of marketing’s scope and key contemporary marketing issues.
- To allow students to explore the complexity of the marketing environment and develop a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the implications of external and internal factors on marketing decision making.
- To encourage students to apply appropriate academic theories, frameworks, models and tools with confidence in order to develop suitable marketing responses to organisational problems.
- Marketing definition, marketing concept and market orientation
- Relevance/role of marketing in different business contexts
- Contemporary marketing issues
- Marketing planning process
- Researching the marketing environment
- Competitor analysis
- Consumer buying behaviour
- Segmentation, targeting and positioning
- Marketing mix decisions
- Brand management
- Impact of ethics/corporate social responsibility on marketing mix decisions
- Marketing in the global economy
After studying this module you should be able to:
- demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of both the nature and scope of traditional marketing and key contemporary marketing issues
- exhibit a critical awareness of the complexity of both the competitive environment and buyer decision making processes and how these are likely to impact on marketing decision making
- identify and justify appropriate marketing theories, frameworks and tools to underpin an organisation’s response to a given marketing challenge
- critically evaluate the impact of pursuing an international/global marketing strategy on the management and development of the organisation’s brands
- demonstrate understanding and critical awareness of the impact of ethical and sustainable practices on the discipline
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- demonstrate expertise in the application of suitable marketing tools and techniques in response to specific organisational marketing needs
- exhibit managerial judgment and creativity in producing marketing decisions and recommendations within tight deadlines