Overview and aims
The Professional and Leadership Development module (PLD) comprises a series of personal and professional post-experience workshops and activities which run alongside but are connected to the academically assessed curriculum.
The purpose of the module is to increase students’ understanding of how to manage their own continuous professional development in order to be a more effective leader and to enable sustained career success. Students will be expected to access a range of learning activities designed to develop personal, professional and leadership competency.
Specifically, the aims of the module are to:
- enable an understanding and appreciation of the importance of effective continuous learning in realising potential
- develop an understanding of key competencies and attributes relating to leadership development
- develop the ability to use reflective practice to improve individual performance and continuous development
- enable an understanding of how to identify ongoing personal development needs for continuous career management
The module content can be grouped into three core themes.
- Developing core personal and professional competencies
- Developing leadership capability
- Reflective practice, development planning and career management
In the first two weeks of the Online MBA Programme, participants will be introduced to the PLD Module.
Indicative content throughout the academic year will include, for example:
Reflective practice, development planning and career management.
- Being an agile learner
- Learning to learn as a leader
- Reflective practice as an enabler of high performance
- Career management
- Effective personal and career development planning
- Networking for professional development
- Access to career development aids and activities
Personal and professional development, which includes professional competencies which support effective leadership.
- Communicating with impact
- Influencing and negotiation
- Developing emotional intelligence
- Building resilience
Developing leadership capability.
- Leading self
- Leading others
- Leading teams
As part of ongoing development, students will also be directed to resources which enable them to complete questionnaires or diagnostics to encourage self-reflection.
After studying this module you should be able to:
- critically assess and apply theories and models of reflective practice in the context of individual personal development and improved effectiveness
- critically evaluate decisions, behaviours and actions, past and present, to inform future personal, professional and leadership development
- gain new perspectives through the conscious process of learning how to reflect on thinking and actions and how to apply new knowledge to ongoing career development
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- Reflect on, and extract meaning from, new experiences and contexts as part of the learning process
- apply enhanced skills of critical thinking, self-awareness, self-examination and reflective learning to improve professional competency and leadership capability
- use appropriate methods to reflect on personal development, including approaches to learning, the development of skills and competencies and career planning