Overview and aims
This module will help develop your existing knowledge and understanding of the construction industry. Current developments within the sector will be studied along with their effect on the industry. This will include development and review of employability aspects of the construction sector.
The module will be based around the themes of:
- today’s construction industry and the issues it faces
- smart construction and emerging technology: BIM and smart buildings
- sustainable construction
- innovation in construction methods and materials.
After studying this module you should be able to:
- review, critically evaluate and analyse a broad range of issues affecting the construction industry
- evaluate the benefits and challenges of smart construction and Building Information Modelling (BIM) and consider the future of digitisation of the construction industry
- discuss and evaluate current and evolving developments within the sector
- identify industry problems and apply knowledge gained in proposing solutions.
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- collect and integrate information and data from various sources
- analyse, evaluate and interpret complex factual information and relevant issues in a systematic, critical and creative manner, and evaluate alternative processes and/or measure against relative criteria; making logical recommendations based on analysis, information and circumstances
- identify, define, critically evaluate and propose solutions to complex problems, including generation of new ideas, innovations and concepts where appropriate
- effectively communicate information, ideas and concepts in a clear and articulate style, including the use of information technologies and systems where appropriate
- develop and use personal skills and competencies to enable effective individual and team working, applying ethical and professional values to the work environment
- apply study and research skills and act autonomously in planning, organising and executing your personal academic and professional development
- use a range of contemporary electronic methods in a critical, creative and innovative way, and use complex subject specific specialist software to communicate nationally and internationally.