Overview and aims
This module aims to develop your appreciation of how to estimate and cost a project or building at different stages. You will also develop an appreciation of the factors that will influence project value, project cost and time to completion.
You will also develop knowledge of whole life cost, life cycle costing and cost forecasting.
- Industry standards relating to cost and estimating
- Cost data and indices
- Order of cost estimate
- Cost plan
- Value management
- Life cycle costing
- Cash flow
After studying this module you should be able to:
- critically evaluate solutions to complex problems relating to the value maximisation of construction works
- critically discuss the relative merits of various approaches to estimating and costing
- critically evaluate a broad range of factors impacting project value, cost and time.
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- collect and integrate information and data from various sources
- analyse, evaluate and interpret complex factual information and relevant issues in a systematic, critical and creative manner, and evaluate alternative processes and/or measure against relative criteria; making logical recommendations based on analysis, information and circumstances
- identify, define, critically evaluate and propose solutions to complex problems, including generation of new ideas, innovations and concepts where appropriate
- effectively communicate information, ideas and concepts in a clear and articulate style, including the use of information technologies and systems where appropriate
- apply study and research skills and act autonomously in planning, organising and executing your personal academic and professional development.