Overview and aims
The main aim of this module is to provide you with a framework for a critical understanding of legal processes and legal decision making. This will provide you with a basis for a critical appreciation of essential legal rights and responsibilities applied to construction professionals. The module will also provide a basis for understanding dispute resolution.
- English legal systems and processes
- Review of key torts – including negligence, occupier’s liability and nuisance
- Methods of dispute resolution including, courts, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and conciliation
After studying this module you should be able to:
- critically review the key elements of the English legal system, including the identification and application of recognised legal sources and criminal and civil liability
- discuss, analyse, critically evaluate and apply key torts – including negligence, occupier’s liability and nuisance to construction projects
- discuss, analyse, critically evaluate and apply the key principles of dispute resolution, including court action, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and conciliation as they impact on construction disputes.
This module will help you gain the skills and qualities to:
- collect and integrate information and data from various sources
- analyse, evaluate and interpret complex factual information and relevant issues in a systematic, critical and creative manner, and evaluate alternative processes and/or measure against relative criteria; making logical recommendations based on analysis, information and circumstances
- identify, define, critically evaluate and propose solutions to complex problems, including generation of new ideas, innovations, and concepts where appropriate
- effectively communicate information, ideas and concepts in a clear and articulate style, including the use of information technologies and systems where appropriate
- apply study and research skills and act autonomously in planning, organising and executing your personal academic and professional development
- acquire critical awareness of legal rules needed to solve potential problems in managing projects.